The Currency of BMI

Body Mass Index (or BMI) is something used to calculate if a person is of a healthy weight.  I hate it, it’s not an accurate measure of fat percentage and does not take into account one’s build.  But the GP uses it to steer to fobbing me off with “if you lose weight it will be better” or “it’s likely because of your weight”.

BMI Ranges for the UK

Here in the UK, they say to be of healthy weight an adult’s BMI score should be between 18.5 – 24.9.  Using the graph below, you’ll be able to see what sort of weight you need to be for a given height to be in that range.  Obviously the taller you are, the heavier you can be but still have the same BMI score.  The ranges used by the NHS are as follows;

Continue reading The Currency of BMI

Losing My Marbles And My Keys

Everyone loses their marbles every now and then.  Sometimes you walk into a room a forget why.  Sometimes you ask someone a question you asked them a couple of minutes prior.  Sometimes you will lose your keys when in town but then really lose everything.

A long story short, I’ve had to start wearing glasses for Computer Work, Reading, TV Time and Driving – basically, anything that requires me to focus on something.  I haven’t adapted well, I hate wearing them – but I’d rather wear them than get the headaches that follow when I don’t.

Continue reading Losing My Marbles And My Keys

Clearing Ones Mind

There is one thing I have found this last week really useful and that is the bike.  Having the bike set up in my ‘Dad Cave’ has meant that when I’ve been feeling angry, frustrated or emotional for whatever reason has saved me.  I still need to get on top of my emotions and mental state, but the bike has been a lifesaver recently.

Sign on entry to my Dad Cave
Continue reading Clearing Ones Mind

The Balance of Food and Exercise

It is Thursday yet again which again means weigh day was yesterday – that day that anyone part of a Slimming Group often dreads.  Yesterday was a little different for me though, I attended an earlier group instead of the usual 7pm group.  Not being at work this week and having the in-laws round last night made it easier to attend the 9.15am group.

I wasn’t feeling great about weighing in.  The last week hadn’t been on plan for about 40% of the time, the other 60% was though, so I wasn’t really expecting much.  Not expecting much put me in a bit of a down mood heading to group as I’ve been chasing that 2st award for weeks now.  Often getting close then gaining weight to lose it again.

Continue reading The Balance of Food and Exercise

Boiling Point

I’ve neglected this blog for the last week. I’ve not been in the best place in my head during this time.  Wednesday I hit boiling point and I went off the rails a little.  The usually calm, passive, nothing bothers me person that is me had disappeared for a short time.  An angry, emotional person appeared – enough to the point I had to take a walk to cool off.

Wednesday night was an all-time low for my mood and how I feel.  Never before have I felt so angry, but what makes it worse is I can’t pinpoint as to why.  It doesn’t seem it was a single thing that made my head snap, it must have been an amalgamation of ‘stressors’ that had caused my little episode.

Continue reading Boiling Point

This Train Is For All Slimming World Members: All Change

Anyone who currently attends a regular Slimming World group will know that from the end of December there are some planned changes to the lifestyle change we’re undergoing (don’t ever call Slimming World a diet, they’ll bury you alive).  So far we were told there are some exciting changes, things we will be able to have more of, some things less off and we’ll be getting shiny new packs which will cover the changes in the plan.

Nothing can be kept a secret these days and as much as companies try to keep secrets, social media as it is today will allow anyone to spill the beans.  Surprise, surprise someone let loose what the changes are – even though we’re not meant to know for another good 5 weeks.  This ‘leak’ has lead to our Consultant having to take to our closed Facebook Group to let us know the changes now, so as to not confuse us with anything from Social Media (let’s face it, it being on Facebook doesn’t mean it’s true unless you trust the source).

Continue reading This Train Is For All Slimming World Members: All Change

Fighting with myself taking on the war of being severely overweight with dieting and cycling