Chocolate Orange is one of my guilty foods. I can easily sit and eat a whole Terrys Chocolate Orange, though I often regret it after. There is just something about orange flavour chocolate that I love.
Baked Oats have been a thing in the Slimming World community for quite a while. Using 40g of plain oats as our Healthy Extra ‘B’ choice, it makes these cake-like treats almost syn free – all depending on what flavour/toppings you chose to incorporate. If you aren’t keen on Chocolate Orange, don’t worry, you can choose just about any topping(s) you like.
These cake-like pockets of joy can be eaten as a treat in the day, a dessert after a meal if you’re entertaining or even as breakfast. They’re more than sweet enough to make as a dessert and you can tailor it all to suit your meal. But the fact they’re made of oats also makes them a good choice for breakfast on the go.
Some reasons why these are perfect for a quick on the go eat;
- They can be made, refrigerated and then reheated later.
- They can be made and then frozen as soon as cooled to keep for longer – great for batch cooking!
- They can be eaten hot or cold.
- They can be made as little cupcakes, or even as a smaller “tray-bake”
- The mixture is completely syn free on Slimming World as long as you use your Healthy Extra B choice
What do you need to make these?
- 40g Plain Oats (this is either your Healthy Extra B choice or 6 syns on Slimming World)
- 1 Egg
- 1/2 Vanilla Muller Light Yogurt
- 1/2 tbsp Granulated Sweetener
- 1 tbsp Skinny #NotGuilty Low Sugar Chocoholic Chocolate Orange Flavoured Spread from The Skinny Food Company (1/5 syn)
- 3 Mini Terrys Chocolate Orange Segments (3 syns/1 syn each)
How are they made?
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (Gas Mark 6 or 200°C for non-fan assisted ovens)
- Mix all the above ingredients (apart from the Mini Chocolate Orange Segments) in a bowl. Mix this well, the better the mix, the better the Baked Oats.
- Add the mixture to either a small baking tray or individual cupcake moulds.
- Bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes.
- If eating straight away, add your Mini Chocolate Orange Segment on top – it will soften while the Baked Oats are hot.
- If you’re freezing/refrigerating, let them cool completely before doing so.
How to reheat them
If you have frozen or refrigerated your baked oats they can easily be reheated.
From Frozen: Allow them to defrost completely. Cook covered in the microwave for 5 minutes on the highest setting. Check they’re hot all the way through before consuming. If they’re still a little cool in the middle, put back in the microwave for another minute or two.
From Chilled: Place in a microwavable container with a loose lid and cook in the microwave for 5 minutes on the highest setting. Check they’re hot all the way through before consuming.