I love a good sandwich and you can’t get a sandwich must better than a BLT (Bacon, Lettuce and Tomato). A BLT sandwich is typically better in the summer when Tomatoes are at their best, but there is something about the saltiness of the Bacon mixed with the crisp, cool texture of the Lettuce and Tomato.
The BLT is a great Slimming World sandwich too, something which a lot of people think you can’t eat when losing weight. Well, with Slimming World you can have 60g of wholemeal bread as your Health Extra B choice – easily done from three slices if you cut the crusts off. When toasted they make an awesome sandwich base! This sandwich is only 2 syns on Slimming World if using the bread as your Healthy Extra B choice.
The following will make the perfect BLT sandwich (to my taste anyway);
- 3 Slices of wholemeal bread from a 400g Wholemeal Loaf (60g = HEb or 6 syns)
- 3 Bacon Rashers
- 1 Leaf of lettuce, torn or shredded
- 1 Tomato, sliced
- 2 tbsp Lighter than Light Mayonnaise (2 syns)
- Salt & Pepper to season
- Fry-light (or other low-calorie cooking sprays)
- Start by cutting the crusts off your 3 slices of Wholemeal Bread. Weight the 3 slices together and make sure they come to 60g (or 20g each)
- Remove all visible fat from the bacon rashers and fry in fry-light
- Toast the bread
- While the bread is toasting, slice the Tomato to your preferred thickness and tare/shred the lettuce leaf
- Once the bread is toasted, spread 1 tbsp of Lighter than Light Mayonnaise on the bottom of the middle slice. Then spread the other 1 tbsp of Lighter than Light Mayonnaise on the top side of the middle slice
- Mount the bacon onto the first slice of toasted bread
- Add the middle slice with the Lighter than Light Mayonnaise on each side
- Add the Lettuce and Tomato
- Add the last slice of toasted bread for the top
I usually server with left over Tomato and/or other Salad on the side.
* All syn values were correct at time of writing this post.